Nick Cave is mourning the death of his son Jethro Lazenby (Picture: Rex/Getty)

Nick Cave has spoken out for the first time since the death of his son Jethro Lazenby. 

The model and actor died on May 9 at the age of 31, seven years after the death of another of Cave’s sons, Arthur, in 2015 after he fell from a cliff in Brighton at the age of 15.

At the time of the announcement, Cave, 64, asked for privacy to grieve his loss but has now shared a lengthier message after being flooded with messages of support from fans. 

The Bad Seeds singer wrote a response to a fan letter on his blogging site The Red Hand Files, which said: ‘Many others have written to me about Jethro, sending condolences and kind words.

‘These letters are a great source of comfort and I’d like to thank all of you for your support.’ 

He added: ‘I’ll be back to The Red Hand Files in a few weeks.

Lazenby was jailed for admitting to assaulting his mother weeks before his death (Picture: Getty Images)

Cave was previously estranged from Lazenby (r) until they met when the model was seven years old (Picture: Rex Features)

‘Love, Nick.’ 

Announcing Lazenby’s death, Cave said at the time: ‘With much sadness, I can confirm that my son, Jethro, has passed away.

‘We would be grateful for family privacy at this time.’

Lazenby was Cave’s son from his relationship with Australian model Beau Lazenby. However, the father and son were initially estranged until meeting for the first time when Lazenby was seven years old, and going on to build a relationship. 

Cave has suffered immense heartbreak in his family over the past eight years (Picture: WireImage)

One of Cave’s twin sons, Arthur (r), died in 2015 at the age of 15 (Picture: WireImage)

The model’s death came weeks after he was jailed after admitting to attacking his mother. 

He was released on bail from Melbourne Remand Centre days before his death after a magistrate ordered he undergo substance abuse treatment and avoid contact with his mum for two years.

More: Nick Cave

Lazenby was due to return to court on June 29 to face further charges including stealing from a 7/11 and to be sentenced for the assault.

Cave is also father to sons Luke and Earl.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.


MORE : Top Gun: Maverick producer reveals biggest challenge to making sequel and Tom Cruise mantra that pulled them through


MORE : Taylor Swift, Kourtney Kardashian and Piers Morgan call for stricter gun laws after 19 die in Texas school shooting