Mtula Payton has been charged with murder over the shootout on April 3 (Picture: AP)

A suspect accused of being part of a gang who opened fire killing six people and injuring more last month has been arrested.

Mtula Payton was apprehended in Las Vegas after a manhunt following the attack in Sacramento on April 3.

He was taken into custody at an apartment complex, the Sacramento Police Department said in a statement last night.

The statement said: ‘Las Vegas Metro Police Department worked with our detectives for weeks in an effort to locate Payton,’ the statement said.

Payton and two others, brothers Smiley Martin and Dandrae Martin, were charged this month with murder in the slayings, as well as weapons offenses.

The alleged gang dispute in California’s capital city left three women bystanders dead as well as three alleged gang members.

Family members light candles for a memorial in Sacramento (Picture: Rex)

Payton is alleged to be part of a rival gang to the other men charged with murder.

Investigators offered no motive, but said in court documents that Smiley Martin and his companions recorded an online video hours before the shooting, flashing guns and talking trash from a location in rival gang territory.

In it, they state their plans to head to the downtown area with the intent of opening fire.

The shootout occurred as people visiting bars and nightclubs emptied out onto downtown streets.

A dozen more people were wounded.

The Martin brothers, who were among the wounded, remain jailed. Attorneys for the brothers have yet to comment on their charging.

It wasn’t known today if Payton has an attorney who could speak on his behalf.

He was being held in a Nevada jail pending transport back to California.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.