To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Simon McCoy proudly reminded viewers he would not be presenting coverage of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee on GB News in a subtle dig at his old employer on This Morning.

Veteran broadcaster Simon presented at the BBC for 17 years before leaving for GB News last summer.

However, he confirmed his departure from the channel back in December 2021, just months after taking on the new role.

Simon has since told fans he is now retired, but he returned to TV on Thursday to chat through some of the biggest headlines of the day on This Morning.

Alongside Beverley Turner, the pair sat down with Alison Hammond and Dermot O’Leary as they chatted all things Jubilee, as well as touching on the outcome of the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard trial, amongst other stories.

After the duo aired their views to the presenters, Dermot decided to ask them whether they had any exciting plans over the celebratory weekend.

Simon and Beverley appeared on This Morning on Thursday (Picture: ITV)

Beverley revealed: ‘I’m covering the Jubilee coverage for the GB News on Sunday from Queen’s Park in Wolverhampton.’

Straight to the point, Simon couldn’t resist a bit of a dig at his former employer and bluntly weighed in: ‘And I’m not.’

‘Pimm’s O’Clock for someone,’ Dermot joked, as the panel all laughed at Simon’s bold comment.

Simon’s exit was revealed back in December, shortly after it was announced Eamonn Holmes would be joining the channel.

Simon made sure the hosts knew exactly how he was planning on *not* spending his weekend (Picture: ITV)

At the time, a spokesperson for the broadcaster told Metro.co.uk he had left for ‘personal reasons.’

In a statement, CEO Angelos Frangopoulos said: ‘Simon is an outstanding broadcaster and we’re sorry to see him go.

‘We remain open to ways we can work with him in future.’

In recent weeks, Simon has been keeping active on social media, and became involved in quite the spat with none other than Piers Morgan.

After Piers posted yet another ratings update, claiming to have come out on top in the viewing figures, Simon decided to probe him further.

Piers tweeted last month: ‘UPDATE: @PiersUncensored beat Sky News & GB News in the UK ratings AGAIN last night.. still very early days, but the show is already gaining real traction around the world, making lots of news, and as I hoped, annoying all the right people.’

Simon, however, wasn’t convinced and asked: ‘Please show the figures.’

More: ITV

The pair’s interactions on the social media site quickly turned nasty, much to the amusement of their followers.

After Simon reminded Piers he is now retired, and urged his fellow broadcaster to ‘try it’ himself, the TalkTV presenter decided to block him, leading social media users to quickly point out the irony from the presenter who champions free speech…

This Morning airs weekdays from 10am on ITV.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.


MORE : MasterChef’s Gregg Wallace and John Torode both awarded MBEs in Queen’s birthday honours


MORE : Paul Burrell ‘worries’ Harry and Meghan’s arrival will disrupt Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations: ‘There will be a cool atmosphere behind closed doors’