Millions will be celebrating the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee in June (Picture: Shutterstock)

Millions of Britons will be hoping to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee by holding their own street party with neighbours and friends.

But when it comes to holding an event on your street, it’s not all fun and games – it’s also council and highway regulations.

So, before dusting off your Union Jack bunting, what permissions do you need to get?

Here is everything you need to know.

What permission do I need to get?

You will need to find out exactly what your local council wants from you before holding the event – and you will need to tell them if you plan to shut off the road.

According to, one resident will need to ask the council ‘on behalf of the street’ and will need to wait 3-12 weeks for a decision, although some councils have significantly reduced the waiting times to allow for maximum celebration of Her Majesty on June 4 and 5.

Some councils will help locals close their road for street parties by handing out signs (Picture: Getty Images)

If you get permission to close the road – something highly likely to keep locals pleased according to the website – it will come in the form of a ‘Temporary Traffic Regulation Order’ from your council’s traffic/highways department, licensing or events team. Find this by searching for the website page that most have.

If you don’t get the decision you were hoping for, you can always challenge it. But, ultimately, your local council will have the final say in the matter.

What if I can’t get permission?

Whether your council has rejected your application or you haven’t had time to submit one, there are alternative types of parties you can hold with your neighbours.

One option – the most popular for those who don’t have permission to close the road – is a ‘street meet’. This gets around the need to take up space on the public highway by having everything on the pavement and your neighbours’ driveways instead.

The only people you need permission from is your neighbours – they may not be too happy if you block their driveway without them knowing beforehand.

You could always hold a party in your garden if you’re in a pinch.

Do I need insurance?

Some councils will you to buy a Public Liability Insurance, which covers everybody for personal injury or damage to some property as a result of the party. Others, however, will merely suggest it.

Depending on how much cover you would like, it can cost upwards of £50 to cover around £5m, should one of your neighbours want to sue you for spilling their very expensive glass of champagne on their very expensive new dress.

MORE : How to order your free Platinum Jubilee pack to celebrate Her Majesty’s 70 years

MORE : Met Office reveals what it thinks weather will be like for Jubilee weekend

Follow Metro across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Share your views in the comments below

Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee 2022